Thursday, September 29, 2011

life dosen't make sense

I have suffered from depression my whole life. As a child and teen I never felt fine in my own skin, I always felt like I didn't belong like, I was a stranger amongst my family and friends. I often battled my own thoughts, but sometimes I was told by others the very negative things I was telling myself. I learned early that good friends were rare and very hard to find. I lost my trust in people, even in my family. I was never good enough. Someone was always better. So I just shut down. It was very lonely. It all came to a head when I was 13 years old and I had my first suicidal thought. It scared me, I had hit rock bottom. I was tired. I sat alone in my room that night and I told myself that things needed to change. I knew the people around me wouldn't so the change would have to be with me. I promised myself that I would not let this "thing" win and I would be better. I also promised myself that I would never give up or harm myself no matter how bad things got. Little did my family know, but I left my room a stronger person that night. I vowed to help others with my problem and there were many times I did. My family never understood why I hug out with the people I did. Some of my friends I sought out, but most found me. They were out of strength so I gave them all of mine.

I have come to understand a lot of depression. Anxiety as well, I have been dealing with that since I was 19. See I kinda traded depression for anxiety, not by choice. I have spent many years asking why. It took me five of those years to get the answers I have today, maybe one day I will share them, but now is not the time. Anxiety is still a daily thing, but I have come to understand and beat it as well. It was a long hard fight, but I held strong to the promise I made to that scared, tired 13 year old girl. You might be wondering why I am telling you all this. It is in fact so out of character for me. I hate writing my feelings, I prefer talking and I only bring this stuff up when asked. Well.....

Yesterday around 10:38 A.M. my beautiful Sister-in-law took her own life. Andrea jumped from the Prime Bridge. Andrea was sick. Her mind was not her own, she was so wonderful. Andrea loved life and her family. I found out yesterday that she battled depression. I had no idea. I felt the pain deep. I know depression, I know what it is and what it does. I could have helped. I could have helped. Life doesn't make sense to me right now. All I could think yesterday was "why her?" Why not me. She was 10 times the stronger person that I am so why is it I could beat it and not her? I don't have those answer's and I probably never will.

Life doesn't make sense right now. Last night it was late and I was so tired so I let my self fall asleep. I was standing next to her, I jumped with her I couldn't see my self but I saw her and we fell together. I woke with a start. Shaken I closed my eyes again, we were still falling. I woke again with tears. I closed my eyes again this time I was behind her I reached out to grab her but it was to late. I woke up Jon and told him, then I cried. I did not go back to sleep.

Life doesn't make sense right now.. For any of you worried about me. Don't. I am very stable. I am just feeling a lot of heartache. Andrea was a wonderful person. A great mother, wife, friend, sister, and daughter. I will love her always.

3 comments:

  1. Please know we are all behind you. "The forces behind you are greater than the obstacle in front of you." I just heard this quote and love it. Your family has had many obstacles lately and I am so sorry for your loss! You and your family are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart aches for your family with all that has happened. Please let us know how we can help. Your in our thoughts often and we pray for you always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tangela, you are in my prayers. Sometimes prayers of peace are all we can ask for in situations like these. May God bless you!!

    ReplyDelete